Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Garden Pests and Diseases: Please help me defeat my arch nemesis!, 1 by Noreaster

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Noreaster

Subject: Please help me defeat my arch nemesis!

Forum: Garden Pests and Diseases

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Please help me defeat my arch nemesis!
Noreaster wrote:
Every single year, some bug destroys my bridal veil astilbe. It sucks on the buds as they appear and damages them to the point that most won't flower. This year, I have tons of buds and I desperately don't want to lose them. In the past, I've gone out and picked off whatever critters I find on there. I've seen little lime green things similar to what another member posted in the "white aphid siting thread"...I guess that's a leaf hopper? I've also seen some kind of small two tone green/brown bug. And yesterday, I went out and found this little beige bug as I was inspecting some damaged looking foliage. That's another thing that happens along with the bud kill- black spots on the leaves which are not eggs, but dead spots. I think this little beige bug was the cause of the damage I saw yesterday.

I've always sprayed anything I've found on there with insecticidal soap- but the problem is that as I understand it, you have to make direct contact with the bugs for that to work. I just can't baby sit this plant 24/7 for the next month while it gears up to bloom!

Today I went out and bought a Neem oil concentrate (Bio-Neem), and sprayed the astilbe. It there any chance that will actually work as a preventative, or do I need to go to some bigger guns, here? If so, what? Will the Bio-Neem actually repel the bugs, or do I still have to catch them in the act to have a chance? I don't have any experience using pesticides, so I appreciate whatever advice I can get.

Here is a pic of the insect and the damage. Can anyone id this? This astilbe is near a birch tree, and I've read that there is a special kind of aphid found on birches, but this bug does not seem to match that description...and the birch tree looks fine. None of the other astilbe in other areas of my yard are affected by this.