Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Irises: Reverse amoenas Alpenview, Wintry Sky, Crowned Heads, 1 by KSBaptisia

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright KSBaptisia

In reply to: Reverse amoenas Alpenview, Wintry Sky, Crowned Heads

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Reverse amoenas Alpenview, Wintry Sky, Crowned Heads
KSBaptisia wrote:
I grow Wintry Sky, Crowned Heads, Alpenview, Brussels, Quite the Reverse, Aegean Wind, Ethereal Voices, and Ripple Effect in my garden.

Wintry Sky is the best of the bunch. It blooms like mad, increases like a weed, and (I think) is the prettiest of them all. Crowned Heads blooms about every other year and increases just enough to perpetuate itself. Last year was Alpenview's first in my garden and I wasn't too impressed. It's flower form wasn't as good as Wintry Sky's and its growth was less vigorous. It hasn't bloomed yet this year, though, so we'll see if it changes my mind when it does.

Brussels is close behind Wintry Sky, its flowers are a bit smaller and a little less ruffled than Wintry Sky's, but otherwise it is just as good. Quite the Reverse is an excellent iris, just behind Wintry Sky and Brussels on my list. Aegean Wind is a good grower and reliable bloomer, but the standards are more violet than blue and the color is not as pleasing to me as some of the others. I don't really care for the flower color of Ethereal Voices (too pastel), but it's been a good performer in the garden. Just planted Ripple Effect last year. It hasn't been a very impressive grower so far. It is going to bloom this spring, though.

I also grow Queen of Elegance, Chinook Winds, and Willamette Mist. They may not technically be reverse amoenas, but they do give the appearance of "dark tops". I'm really impressed with Queen of Elegance. It's hard to imagine a Blyth iris being under appreciated, but I think this one is. This is my first spring with Chinook Winds and Willamette Mist in the garden. Neither has bloomed yet, but they will soon. Both are good growers so far.

Also, I'm planning to plant Tullyherron, Surfer's Dream, and Face of an Angel this summer, but obviously don't know anything of consequence about them yet. Can you tell that I really like reverse amoenas? I have high hopes for Face of an Angel in particular.

For what it is worth, I made one successful cross (out of several attempts) with Wintry Sky pollen last year. I'm trying several more this year, plus some with Brussels, Quite the Reverse, and Queen of Elegance.

(clump shot of Wintry Sky from today)