Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Orchids: Orchids flowering, ID needed, 1 by MaypopLaurel

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright MaypopLaurel

In reply to: Orchids flowering, ID needed

Forum: Orchids

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Orchids flowering, ID needed
MaypopLaurel wrote:
Beautiful, Carol. Which one is that? I agree with your advice. There are lots of ways to grow Cyms.. I do a few things differently. Yes to the light, yes to the temp., yes to the no soggy medium and yes to being heavy feeders. I plant mine in almost 50% hardwood leaves, 25% composted manure and 25% mix of potting soil, perlite, old bark from otherwise healthy orchids or potted plants (in other words junk). Much cheaper than some of the exotic recipes suggested. I don't let my roots get so tight that the plant looks strangled when its unpotted. Still, the plant fills the pot. I feed full strength Miracle Gro plant food twice a month but skip when temps are hovering close to ninety. That's to not stress the plant in high temps.. I've started repotting and here's when I think it's time for the roots to have some breathing space. Note the difference between a plant being full in the pot, as the shape of this one suggests, and roots being too crowded.
Laurel