Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Silver Maple , 1 by franknjim

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright franknjim

In reply to: Silver Maple

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Silver Maple
franknjim wrote:
My two large Silver Maples are bad news. I lose branches up to 8" thick every year. One 6" branch leaned onto high power lines and caught fire last year. The big surface roots are dangerous while the smaller ones suck all of the moisture out of the top 16" of soil. Planting anything takes 10 times longer than it should. The sidewalk was tilted so bad that I had to remove it. I have been lucky as most of the larger branches that come down land in the street. The small branches have to be picked up daily while some good sized branches just lay up in the tree indefinately. I removed the smallest of what used to be 3 of them and planted their replacements to get them started.

I think they might have a disease and I won't miss them when they are gone as long as I have shade. Lost branches over the house fried my hostas last year. The seeds turn gutters into flower boxes and grow everywhere they land. The photo shows the trees just after they seeded and how broken up the shade is around mid day.