Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: choko pickles, 1 by Fruity_Sage

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Fruity_Sage

Subject: choko pickles

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of choko pickles
Fruity_Sage wrote:
Hi, my vine had lots of choko's this year so made choko pickles. It's a mustard pickles recipe with a bit of heat.
6 choko's peeled well and deseeded. Steam them until they are just tender. In a pot - two cups of brown vinegar, 1 cup of sugar, 2 tablespoons of mustard powder. 1 tablespoon of hot english mustard dissolved in a little hot water first. 1 tablespoon of ground cloves. 1 tablespoon of sea salt..any salt if you haven't got sea salt. quarter of a cup of golden syrup. 1tablespoon of turmeric, 1cup of water and 1 third of a cup of plain flour. make the plain flour into a sauce with a bit of the water and when it all starts to boil slowly pour in the flour paste to thicken it. Chop the choko's after they are steamed into little pieces and pour them into the sauce and stir well. Pour it into hot stelised jars and put the lid on quickly so the vacuum works. I love choko pickles on sanchwiches with cornbeef or with kransky on a bun.
If you have a choko recipe for pickles I'd love to try it.