Photo by Melody

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: PLANT SWAP IN MOUNT BETHEL PA SPRING 2010, 1 by GardenQuilts

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright GardenQuilts

In reply to: PLANT SWAP IN MOUNT BETHEL PA SPRING 2010

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of PLANT SWAP IN MOUNT BETHEL PA SPRING 2010
GardenQuilts wrote:
I know they are a ground cover with little white flowers. The seedling foliage looks light green. It has been protected by the opaque milk bottle, I'll see how it ages assuming the seedlings survive. Here is my slate walkway. The bf did the level back part, I added to it. There are plenty of rocks around here. I suppose it would be more level with a few strong men and a bunch of sand, but it is fine for me. I had gotten some Irish moss on end of year special in the fall. The clumps have survived and are growing slowly. I also started creeping thyme seeds (a few germinated, but they are small) and some creeping sedum.

You can see the pachysandra on the right. I have to pull some out to make room for plants. I can bring some to the swap if anyone wants some. I didn't originally have a garden in that spot, just shrubbery. I planted the pachysandra to cover the base and choke out the weeds. I tried some in the back garden near the black walnut trees and it has survived. I plan to move some more back there. This strain seems to grow in sun or shade.

I am not a fan of the plastic white fencing, it expands and warps in the heat, but it keeps the weed wackers and lawn mowers at bay. They couldn't resist wacking a daisy and some pachysandra last year. Both survived, no problem. A friend gave me these fences when she redid her garden. If I put a fancy fencing, it would be wacked to pieces.

Tiffany, my Westie, doesn't bother the garden unless she is chasing a rodent. In that case, she plows right thru the fencing....Great White Hunter on the prowl. She got 10 voles (outside, thankfully) this winter. Dead rodents are preferable to chewed plants. Hunt away.