Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: The Skinny on Alstroemeria?, 1 by Karldan

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Karldan

In reply to: The Skinny on Alstroemeria?

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of The Skinny on Alstroemeria?
Karldan wrote:
The Alstroemeria in the nurseries here are so expensive, $20.00 a pot. I have had great success growing them from seeds. About 20 years ago I had some seeds, maybe from Parks? They were the orange "species". They germinated rapidly in flats and were planted outside. Next year DOZENS of plants came up and bloomed orange. I read the plants send tubers down to depths of 3 feet to ride out droughts, and can become invasive. Last year I planted T & M's seeds, and planted the seedlings in the border. Each plant sent up 2 or 3 shoots, we'll see what colors they are. This year I bought 2 packs of T & M seeds. The pack said 36 seeds but there were 60 in the first pack. 2 seeds planted to a jiffy, under grow lights for 3 weeks, then in the fridge (the jiffys in a zip-lock baggy) for 3 weeks. After leaving the fridge, all jiffys but one germinated FAST. They are growing on now. I went back to our up-scale nursery which sells T & M seeds and bought another pack. Will post pics of seedlings soon. Hope this helps!