Photo by Melody

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: What is happening in your Garden Today?, 1 by Gitagal

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gitagal

In reply to: What is happening in your Garden Today?

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of What is happening in your Garden Today?
Gitagal wrote:
Sally--you have done some of the things i did today.......but I think I got you beat!

In the AM portion, I mostly tried to catch up with all the "stuff" that is on all the tables and on the patio floor.....SO much to attend to! All kinds of pots and stuff--all scattered around....plants everywhere!
I "doctored up" the soil in the 2 pots of now growing geraniums that I had dormant for the Winter....They are almost fully leafed out! They have been outside for at least 3 weeks.

After my break--I seriously mixed soil with all kinds of "good" stuff and, permanently (for this year) potted up all 3 of my bigger Brugs that were dormant (they have been outside in filtered shade now for a couple of weeks) and also potted up the 4 rooted Brug cuttings that have been growing on my windowsill all Winter.

For the bigger Brugs--using the pot-in-pot method---it took a lot of soil to fill both. A couple of the bigger ones were not all that big--but still--dormant from growing all last Summer--and ready to "march on"....

Had my "baby" Maya---my straight as a broomstick, 5' tall pink Brug (still need to ID it) that I got from Chantelle at Swap--but it was mis-ID'd and I do not know the name.....
Then--I also had a pretty well-established Rose Souvelons, which I also got from Chantelle---but it was ID's as a Dr. Seuss.....It is not! Whomever it was that gave these to her and tagged it wrong--needs a spanking!

Root-pruned and top-pruned my Tropical Hibiscus and potted it up in a bigger pot.....I know I will have to wait for it to re-grow so i can get some blooms--but I feel it was the right thing to do. Had it inside all Winter--and it kept growing and, sporadically, blooming. By now, all the stems were almost 3' tall. NOPE! Time to prune!
I bet it will be gorgeous when it re-grows!

Then--I also potted up 13 small divisions of my dark-leafed, red/orange blooms Canna--the roots were maybe one bud each. Might be good for the Swap--IF they grow out any.
Still have to plant the remaining 4 larger divisions--tomorrow???? OH! To find space!!!!

Tomorrow---Need to plant my 3 Daturas (have several more!) and dig in a couple of the potted up Brugs in a bed.
Mostly--I think I will be digging up my beds to prep them for planting of anything/everything....
I am also going to dig up a couple of large clumps of NOID daffodils that did not really bloom this Spring.
WHY give them the space--if they do not bloom? I realize they may be too crowded--but I have nowhere to transplant them to if I were to divide them!
SO! Will have a bunch of bulbs to share--maybe at work---maybe at the Swap....

Was fighting the impulse to go shop for annuals at the "Md. Flower and Foliage"---but decided to see what all I have first--so as not to buy things in haste.

Today--I also had my 2 Clematis delivered that I ordered from "Brushwood Nursery".
I got the Estonian Clematis "Piilu" (Little Duckling)--a small-blooming pink one suitable for containers---and the "Clematis Lady Betty Balfour" ( a purple one) for my side bed.
They arrived in quart pots--VERY well packed and with growing vines on them.
Tired of waiting for our HD to get any Clematis in--and when they do--the shipment will all be of one kind!

OK! Sounds like a full day tomorrow.....Then, there is still Saturday I am off.....Will get a lot done....IF I stop taking breaks that last 2 hours to "play" on DG!

This is the Estonian Clematis--"Piilu"---I will be growing it in a pot on my Patio....