Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Morning Glories: Live in PA is it too early to plant mg seeds now on fence?, 1 by GardenQuilts

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright GardenQuilts

In reply to: Live in PA is it too early to plant mg seeds now on fence?

Forum: Morning Glories

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Live in  PA is it too early to plant mg seeds now on fence?
GardenQuilts wrote:
They were the first thing I planted when I moved here. The bf got some seed packs and trellis as a surprise and started digging up the garden to cheer me up. These are planted against the wall under a drip line. It would be a difficult place to get most things to grow. Any perennial vine would be frozen by water runoff from the roof and freeze/thaw cycles. They look fabulous on white trellis against the beige wall. Everyone comments on them. I have shared many stray plants with friends and neighbors. I am glad that they come back every year. It is a bit of a pain to pull out volunteers, but no big deal. It would be as much of a pain to start seeds every year.

The next year, knowing morning glories were annuals, I got some light blue seeds and planted them. They never came up, but yelta came back from dropped seeds. My grandmother grew the blue ones, saving and starting seeds each year.

This year, I have gotten a selection of new morning glories from trades. I am starting them in pots, for now. I plan to try to keep some going inside as a "living curtain" if possible. I will add some seedlings with the yelta to hopefully get a variety of blooms. I'll see if I like the Japanese varieties, I. nil, which are supposed to make less seeds.

Here is one pic, the only one of morning glories on the current camera card. I have to get my pictures names and organized so that they will be easier to share! I think I have some old ones in my journal.