Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Kazooguy

In reply to: Welcome to DG..Kazooguy, Kalamazoo, Mi

Forum: Michigan Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Welcome to DG..Kazooguy, Kalamazoo, Mi
Kazooguy wrote:
Hello There
Loon. Now there's an absolutely beautiful name. You see, my other great passion, besides gardening and cooking, is camping. Always near water, and preferably where I can get to with my canoe. So my memories of experiences with loons are very pleasurable ones. It sounds like you have already made decisions that I am currently wrestling with. Can I pick your brain a little? I am a very good customer of a nice guy with an apple orchard on the west side of Kalamazoo. We always can 2-3 dozen quarts of Cortland applesause. We could use twice that many. Also about that many peaches and lately pears (they're sure cheaper than Redhavens). Bartlets are sure tastey when there is snow on the ground. I'm more that a little unsure of not only variety, but tree size. Does it make sense to buy semi-dwarf, 10-12 ft, trees for the varieties you have enjoyed so much in the past (Cortland, Redhaven, and Bartlett), and full dwarf for the other varieties you know or think you would like (Jonagold, Northern Spy, Cox's Orange Pipen, etc.)? I wish I could afford to protect all the varieties I actually have room to grow. I too have a critter problem and have sent a few to groundhog heaven. The deer, so far, have actually stayed behind my garden fence. But, Portage Creek, with a sizable green belt 5 miles long, is only 150 yards away.That fence is a sizable expense, as I'm sure you know. Decisions, decisions. I guess it's better than not being able to make any. How do you keep apples and pears? What varieties and for how long? I've enjoyed Northern Spies before, but there is a Nova Spy variety that is more resistant to funguses and insects. Any experience with any of those? I hope I'm not asking too many questions, but I really do envy your experience.
Hope the picture brings a smile. I have to confess to being REALLY THRILLED by this season of the year. Only other gardeners could actually understand the feeling. Thanks.
Mike