Photo by Melody

Rhododendrons and Relatives: Hot/dry 10-day forecast... should I wait to plant azaleas??, 1 by MrsJohnnyG

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright MrsJohnnyG

Subject: Hot/dry 10-day forecast... should I wait to plant azaleas??

Forum: Rhododendrons and Relatives

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Hot/dry 10-day forecast... should I wait to plant azaleas??
MrsJohnnyG wrote:
I just bought 10 azaleas this weekend... stupidly not checking the 10-day forecast. Um, we're looking at 10 days of hot, dry days (highs in the 80's for several days then the 70's, *maybe* some scattered t-storms in the middle of all that heat).

Most of the spots where I will plant them will be getting dappled shade once the trees leaf out more fully. It's not usually this hot this early in the spring. I'm wondering if I should wait a bit before planting them... won't new transplants get stressed with all this heat and sun, even if I water them daily? The azaleas I planted a couple of months ago are showing signs of heat stress... I'm hoping they will make it too! :(

I'm thinking maybe I should keep them in pots in a shady spot next to the deck where they'll at least get minimal direct sun, then transplant once cooler temps are in sight and/or the overhead trees are a bit more leafed out. What would you do?