Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Conifers to love, 1 by ic_conifers

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ic_conifers

In reply to: Conifers to love

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Conifers to love
ic_conifers wrote:
Pinus contorta 'Taylor's Sunburst' getting ready to put forth vibrant new candles in a few weeks. This tree has a very special place in my heart. In May 2009 my husband drove me to the airport and I remember seeing this beauty in full color outside of a garden center near our house. A few weeks before I had stopped by and admired the tree, its price tag was was way over my budget. After I returned in mid June from the business trip, the tree was no longer in front of the garden center and I assumed someone very, very lucky had purchased it.

In fall I returned to the garden center when they began their annual 30% off clearance sale. I wasn't paying attention and pretty much ran smack into this 'Taylor's Sunburst'! I purchased it and the store employee dropped it when he was trying to load it into my truck. Amazingly, there was not a branch bent, just a few needles lost. I got it home, ripped the ragged out of control Harry Lauder Walking Stick Tree out, planted 'Taylor's Sunburst' and began waiting for spring!