Photo by Melody

Wildlife: Heidi Chronicles: Heidi's BACK!, 1 by DreamOfSpring

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DreamOfSpring

In reply to: Heidi Chronicles: Heidi's BACK!

Forum: Wildlife

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Heidi Chronicles: Heidi's BACK!
DreamOfSpring wrote:
Thought I should add that this 2nd adult was on the patio with Heidi and the yearlings when I went out last night, so she isn't entirely isolated from them. I've just noticed that she keeps her distance at the table always careful to locate herself away from the others. The yearlings eat near Heidi, mostly in a semi-circle around and behind her, but they are required to make sure they pick a spot that isn't too close - or Heidi will fuss. They mostly pull up a chair about 2.5ft from her and each other. The yearlings can still eat side by side sharing food though. I've seen them do this a number of times when food runs low. Except for the 1st Lieutenant's very brief efforts sometimes to keep Precious from coming to dinner, the yearlings don't argue amongst themselves - so far.

2 nights ago (Friday) Heidi showed up with a noticeable scratch on the back of her neck. This was something new, having happened in the last 24hrs. They didn't stay long that night (or last night, Sat). Shortly after they arrived and started eating, that sound of something running through the forest rustling leaves along the way could be heard again. Each time I've heard this sound recently it appears to be coming [through the forest] from the area behind the neighbor's yard running in a shallow angle along and towards the fence [behind my house].

When I heard this sound the other time, only 1 yearling was there with me, and she seemed noticeably concerned. Tonight was the 1st time Heidi was around when the sound occurred. I hadn't expected her to react. She almost never reacts to things coming from the forest, but this time all [4] of the raccoons split, the yearlings running for the forest, and Heidi running behind the composter where she crouched down and froze as if to hide. Whatever made the sound didn't come into the yard, and after a few minutes Heidi came back to continue her meal where she was rejoined by the others. Below is a quick pic I took that night showing Heidi over there crouching behind the composter. I don't know if you can tell, but she has her belly on or very close to the ground with her feet drawn up under her so that she can still 'walk' close to the ground.

That just wasn't our night. No sooner that the 1st emergency was over, a dog 2 houses down started barking. The raccoon stayed but were on high alarm due to the constant barking. A few minutes later a man came out to yell at the dog, and the raccoon disappeared into the forest. I didn't stick around after that. They hadn't even eaten 1/2 their meal yet. They even left the much coveted egg, so I hope they were able to come back to finish after I left and turned off the lights.

My take on the situation, the sound of something running up to the fence, their reaction to it, and the the scratch seen on Heidi, I'm thinking maybe the very small group that has been showing up at the buffet is trying to keep the others out - and I sure hope they prevail. This would result in some fighting and some anxiety about who coming this way from the forest. Don't know for sure though. This is just my guess. Open to other interpretations.