Michigan Gardening: Money saving garden tips posted here, 1 by toofewanimals

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright toofewanimals

In reply to: Money saving garden tips posted here

Forum: Michigan Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Money saving garden tips posted here
toofewanimals wrote:
If you are still working, look around at what gets tossed into the garbage.

When I was growing daylily seeds, I needed a container that was taller. So each lunch I would save my tall drinking cup. I still save them starting in March, so I can bring my extra plants to work and not worry about not getting my pot back. Oh, yea, they are free, since you can have a cup of water free.

I save small ziplock bags that would othersize get thrown away for seeds ... 1"x3".
I use wooden sticks also for my seedlings, these come in kits we use at work, they are the extras that don't get used.

For my winter sowing, I use a great 3 liter jug from work. Just contained a buffer, nothing toxic. Wash it out well and it is good to go. I've convinced several people to start using these.

We drink instant coffee at my home, so I've been taking the coffee grounds from our little area (one coffee pot). After about a year, someone wanted me to share the grounds with her ... well, that did not happen!

Also, I try and take walks on the night before garbage pickup. I've found a decent amount of the square 4" pots that way. Also, people at work have given them to me. I now have more than I probably will ever need.

I built a path out of stones someone was throwing away.
Here is a pic. of that. See the path behind the Hosta garden, it leads to the wood pile behind the Garden shed.