Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: NIGHT BLOOMING CEREUS, 1 by Gitagal

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gitagal

In reply to: NIGHT BLOOMING CEREUS

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of NIGHT BLOOMING CEREUS
Gitagal wrote:
doc---

My goodness! How did I miss this Tread????? I think it is the same problem that I tend to only look at Threads i am "watching" and so--many others go unnoticed.

MY! Your Epi looks so great for only one year from a so-so cutting! I know it is because of your incredible knowlege and the soil you "make yourself". I have many more rooted cuttings all doing great--and many of them also growing those long "spikes"--even in their "infancy".....

This plant goes by many names---"NBC" is one--"Queen of the Night" is another--and there are many others.
When, and IF, you will get buds--they will come from the older leaves by what seems to be a vein, that all of a sudden, emerges from the side of the frond and becomes a bud. My Ric-Rac does the same thing--as they are all in the Orchid Cactus family. I have many pictures that would show this to you--even though my NBC has never bloomed.

Those LONG spikes/leaves it grows seem to just be a feature of this plant. I, personally hate them and often cut them off. To me they seem to have NO purpose--but maybe in their native habitat--the do.
Right now--the one I have indoors has AGAIN produced several of these long "spikes". I will be cutting them off sooner or later.
Outdoors--these spikes will grow regular "leaves" from the tops of them. And so it goes.......
Once I posted on the Orchid cactus Forum asking how to support all this lanky growth--and someond suggested I should get an Aquarium Stand (???) and set the plant inside it to support it. HUH????

The interesting thing is that you can cut one of these tall, skinny things off and cut it up in sections and root them--and they will grow regular leaves from them and become another plant.

doc--PLEASE do not disect your NBC Epi for the sake of the Plant Swap. I have so many growing--I would be happy to take a bunch to the next Swap. You can then be the "professor" and share all you have done to make yours thrive as it has. I also love how the leaves on yours hang down. I think i am fighting the nature of this plant trying to keep it potted and supported so it will grow in an upright mode.

The plant behind your Epi is definitely and Episcea. The only Episcea I have ever grown is the "Chocolate Soldier" one. On this one the blooms are bright red. I had it years ago! Tyhe leaves on yours look like the Ch. Sol. one--but I know there are other varieties that look similar. If yours came from Jill--then she has ID it for you.

Propagating this plant is from rooting the offshoots that grow at the ends of the vining stems. Some people plant these in a small pot and leave it attached the the Mama while it roots. Then separate it. The one I had--years and years ago--I just cut it off and planted the offshoot in a small pot and it rooted--much like a Spider Plant baby. They are easily propagated.
From what I remember--these plants require high humidity and do not like to be over watered. May be a good candidate for a terrarium?

The link catz gave you should provide you with a lot of insight. No need for me to post any more pics...OK! Maybe the one of my NBC inside and how it is growing all those same naked stems.....Still not sure what i will do with them. Cutting them off seems the only choice.

Of course--now that i want to find the pictures I want to show you--I cannot, but here are some that will help.....Yours seems happy in a HB.

This was taken last Summer--while it was still outside. Here is the main plant as it is growing. As you can see--I am trying hard to keep it upright. maybe I should not.