Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Annuals: Rudbeckias, 1 by amorecuore

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright amorecuore

In reply to: Rudbeckias

Forum: Annuals

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Rudbeckias
amorecuore wrote:
Nice photo Karen. Snapdragons only do well here from October - early May. The middle of May is always the time when all the winter stuff immediately goes downhill and dies. It's like clockwork every year. I've never let any of them go to seed so unsure whether they would return in the fall. I always yank them out and replace them with something that does well here in the summer.

You're right Tropicanna. My yard is not typical for South Florida. Many of the things will grow here if you choose to do so during the winter. Some things you would consider perennials (gaillardia) are annuals here. Most people don't want the extra work and/or expense for this kind of stuff here. They stay with low maintenance tropicals since gardening is a 12 month of the year commitment.

Here's a closeup of those petunias. They are "Hula Hoop Blue", "Hula Hoop Red" and "Hula Hoop Velvet" petunias. I guess the blue ones are blue/purple in color. I have them in two places and the Velvet is the best performer, followed by the Blue and then the Red. The red ones just don't grow as well as the other colors for some reason. They don't spread well.

Jon