Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Dahlias: Greetings and need help ID'ing this dahlia, 1 by Poochella

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Poochella

In reply to: Greetings and need help ID'ing this dahlia

Forum: Dahlias

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Greetings and need help ID'ing this dahlia
Poochella wrote:
Not lazy Carrie, just not enough coffee. I've had half a pot already and can now link to the entire universe of dahlias LOL!

You can easily groom your dahlias to get longer stems. Start by disbudding, giving just the main bud the chance to develop. You can also remove the first set of lateral nubs at a leaf set below that bud which will give you additional stem length as the plant grows. All it takes is a good fingernail and a quick scrape as you walk by. If you just want to enjoy more dahlias on the plant you don't need to fuss with this, but it's really easy and pays off for pleasing cut flowers on longer stems. Just snip off the leaves when you go to cut the flower and bada bing: longer stems.

I don't know what edewitt's pinker NOID is or your lavender version. I think Lavender Perfection and Lilac Time are two of the most commonly mislabeled/interchanged dahlias found in big box stores or big garden sellers that don't focus on dahlias alone. I bought two packs of "Lilac Time" last year and got what I think is "Lavender Perfection" instead. I don't know which is which anymore.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/270256/