Greenhouse: Replacing an 8 x 8 Rion, 1 by Weedwhacker

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Weedwhacker

In reply to: Replacing an 8 x 8 Rion

Forum: Greenhouse

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Replacing an 8 x 8 Rion
Weedwhacker wrote:
Greenhouse_gal -- My Rion is about 7 years old as well, and is also starting to fall apart in various places. (coincidentally - I think the warranty is 7 years...). I've overall been pretty happy with it, but really only use it for seedlings in the spring, with a small ventless propane heater to keep things from freezing, and I agree it doesn't seem to hold the heat as well as I'd like (even though I've gone through and filled in most of the little openings with caulk). I have to kind of wonder if anything really would, though, considering the amount of uninsulated surface area. Maybe a greenhouse inside another greenhouse or hoophouse, so there was an insulating air layer in between?

I will say it's stood up well for me in snow and wind, though. In the winter I cover it with a big piece of clear plastic because we were concerned water would get into the various nooks and crannies, freeze, and push things apart. The first year I used a big tarp but found clear plastic works much better because it lets the g'house heat up when the sun is out and the snow falls off. I'm afraid anything that would be really efficient at keeping heat in during cold weather would be well beyond my budget!

Sandy