Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Native Shrubs for Zone 5, Full Sun, pH 7.3 Sandy loam. , 1 by HoosierGreen

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright HoosierGreen

In reply to: Native Shrubs for Zone 5, Full Sun, pH 7.3 Sandy loam.

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Native Shrubs for Zone 5, Full Sun, pH 7.3 Sandy loam.
HoosierGreen wrote:
Little Bluestem (Schizachyrium scoparium) is a great native grass (photo shot of it in winter), as is Elliott's broom-sedge a.k.a. Elliott's beard grass (Andropogon elliiottii) and Broom-sedge (Andropogon virginicus). The last two, not true sedges, can usually be found in vacant fields or roadsides, easy to transplant or get seedheads from as they stand tall all winter, even through snows. All three thrive in poor soil and mix nicely with wildflowers. If you plant grasses, you could just sow mixed wildflower seed in-between the clumps of grass. Or "cheat" with annual poppies and cosmos, which are the usual first-year flowers of mixes anyway.

How large of an area will you be putting into meadow? I have lots and lots of nice, two-year old clumps of little bluestem I could send to you in early spring. They are warm-season grasses, sprouting in May in my area.

This message was edited Jan 16, 2010 8:46 PM