Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Irises: Favorite Irises, 1 by Pewjumper

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Pewjumper

In reply to: Favorite Irises

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Favorite Irises
Pewjumper wrote:
Thanks all for the messages so far! I usually hang out over in the Rocky Mountain Forum. In response to some of the questions....

I live in the arms of the western side of the Rocky Mountains at 5760 feet elevation, I am about 40 feet above and to the south of the Colorado River. A bisecting ridge & river valley is directly to the south which protects me from a lot of the really cold air coming off the high country, (11,000+ feet). My gardens gets full day southern exposure and it is a really nice micro-climate which is probably a zone 6. The "dirt" was brought in and has a very high pH and is somewhat clayey. I am digging down 18 inches, (The gas main is two feet down!) and straining out all the rocks. I plan on adding copius amounts of acidified cotton boll compost to lower the pH and improve the drainage. Some Dr. Earth organic fertilizer with bacteria, fungus & michorizae should help transform my dirt into beautiful well drained soil. Hmmm...gotta borrow a cup of worms from my neighbor. LOL

If you look at the picture below, my Iris bed will be between the two trees on the left. The bed is about 15 feet X 24 feet+.

I have found feral iris at an old homestead and must rescue them before the property is developed this summer, so I know that iris can grow & naturalize in this area.

I have deer, more deer and a couple of elk that come through all the time, (we won't mention the bears, they are very rude and their table manners are atrocius) sooo deer resistance is a big thing. the six foot deer fencing out front looks tacky but the tulips wouldn't make it without the barrier.

Plants to take up the slack time? I want something low that gives me lots of blooms after the iris , but isn't thirsty. I don't want my irises to rot...something like Gaillardia grandiflora "Arizona Sun". Did I mention deer resistance?

Thanks all

Pewjumper