Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Irises: Master Historic Iris List for 2010, 1 by

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright

In reply to: Master Historic Iris List for 2010

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Master Historic Iris List for 2010
wrote:
Cha Thank you for all that great work you did. It is so sad that so many, or most, historical irises are unavailable or difficult to locate. This past spring, I contacted Schreiner regarding historical irises. I have their 1984 catalog that I have saved and now all could be considered historical. When asked if they would consider printing a catalog of historical irises for the public, I was told that all those historical irises are not saved but have been destroyed.

I do lean towards the modern irises more than the historical ones. However, I do have some, plus one I have never seen offered for sale. It is my favorite historical bearded. I saw that 2 companies in Excel data do offer this one for sale. I recommend this iris highly.

It was offered in Schreiners 1950 catalog. Came across it during a search.

Here is the photo of it, Buffawn (Andrew 1940) Height 34". Pronounced flaring in shrimpt to salmond-buff with prominent orange beard. Excellent bloomer. Blooms early, end of May or first week in June, depending on the season's weather. Does not produce extremely large rhizomes compared to other bearded varieties.