Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Pre-Holiday Snow Storm, 1 by rcn48

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright rcn48

In reply to: Pre-Holiday Snow Storm

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Pre-Holiday Snow Storm
rcn48 wrote:
The snow was knee deep by mid morning and by late afternoon when the snow finally stopped the official storm total for our area was 28"!!! Without power we were basically out of touch with the outside world but telephone calls from friends alerted us to the fact that the area was crippled. We heard about the problems with I-81 and the National Guard had been called out to rescue those stranded and move them to the local high school - last count I heard was there were 1200 people at the school! The Dominion workers showed up early afternoon and told us they were going to try to get our power back before dark - yay! We only had enough firewood to get us through the night and even then the fireplace barely keeps the temperature in the living room around 50 degrees. The good news was short lived however, the power guys couldn't get the line fixed until the tree crew could get down the road and the road still hadn't been plowed by late afternoon. Troopers that they are, they walked almost a mile down the road to do the work but they needed larger equipment. They knocked on the door just before 6:00 PM and told us that calls to VDOT were unsuccessful to get the road plowed because all the plows were concentrating on getting I-81 open again and we were in for a long, cold night :(