Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Indoor Gardening and Houseplants: Stepping up from standard flourescent shop lights, 1 by plantladylin

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright plantladylin

In reply to: Stepping up from standard flourescent shop lights

Forum: Indoor Gardening and Houseplants

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Stepping up from standard flourescent shop lights
plantladylin wrote:
Can't you just hang another light or two on that lower shelf ... you have plenty of space for additional plants down there.

I have a couple of those same exact plant stands that are currently not in use, although I've been contemplating setting one back up with lights so that I can grow a few African Violets again. In the past I had my shelves set up with these $9.98 lights from Wal-Mart that worked really well so I'm sure that's what I will use again. I wired two lights to each shelf and sat ceramic tiles on the shelves so that the plants would sit level. I had this set up for 2 1/2 years and the plants did fine under those lights.

If I set up my shelves again, the only thing I'll do differently is I will hang the lights using chains, to give me the ability to raise and lower them for plants that might need to be closer to the light source. I used to sit plants on top of tupperware containers and such but I was always knocking things off and making a huge mess so it would be easier to be able to raise/lower the lights as needed.