Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Mid-Winter Seed Swap(s), 1 by critterologist

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright critterologist

Subject: Mid-Winter Seed Swap(s)

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Mid-Winter Seed Swap(s)
critterologist wrote:
Now that we've tucked our gardens in for their long winter's nap, it's time to sorting through seed catalogs and seed stashes, making plans for spring!

For the past several years, I've organized a "Mid-Winter Seed Swap" in Frederick, and I'm planning on doing so again. Most likely, we will again meet at Chef Lin Buffet, since that has worked out well in the past, although I'm toying with having a gathering here at the house instead. We'll see what happens after the holidays.

I think February 27 is currently my favorite date (might have family stuff going on Feb. 20, and I don't want to mess up Valentine weekend plans for anybody on Feb. 13), so you might pencil that in on your new 2010 calendar.

I was going to wait until after the holidays to post interest & seed swapping threads (it's not necessary to arrange any swaps in advance, but it can be helpful to see if there's a lot of interest in a particular seed before you make up 20 packets of it, and some people find it useful to post wish lists, also). That'll give us 5 or 6 weeks to put things together, which seems like more than enough time. :-)

In the meantime, though... I know Frederick is too far south or too far north etc. for some folks to make it here for the seed party. So, let's toss around additional ideas for seed swapping!

If anybody wants to host a seed swap in another part of the Mid-Altantic, step up & post... when plans get underway, we can put links from here (and from the "Events" thread) to your swap thread(s).

Roses_R_Red (Teri) is planning a swap for Jan 23 in PA, see link at the end of this post to her thread in the MAG forum.

Also, some people might want to do a swap by mail, maybe like the "Piggy Swap" going on now, where everybody sends their seeds to a hostess along with enough postage to cover a return package. If you want to arrange individual swaps by mail, that's fine also, and you might consider posting in the Seed Trading forum as well as here to broaden your search area.

So... let's talk seed swapping! What, When, How... this is just meant to be a thread to get discussions started.

:-)

LINKS

"Think Spring! Seed Swap Party Feb 27" http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1064708/

"Seed Swap January 23rd in Mt Bethel PA" http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1064972/

(edited to update info)

This message was edited Dec 26, 2009 8:24 PM