Photo by Melody

Rocky Mountain Gardening: Something good happened today., 1 by bsavage

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bsavage

In reply to: Something good happened today.

Forum: Rocky Mountain Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Something good happened today.
bsavage wrote:
Congrats on the new car, Katlian! Subarus are very good cars, especially when dealing with multiple weather conditions.

My interview with the photography on Telluride mountain went well, but honestly, it is not for me. Sounds very fun, outdoorsey, people oriented, but the work schedule is grueling and the attitude is all about sales and though the term 'team' came up many times, I'm old enough and have been around enough to have translated that particular 'team' phrase to: 'sell or you're out'! The schedule goes like this: I get on a shuttle here in Dolores at 6:30 a.m., get to Telluride by 8:00, be ready for sales meeting at 8:30, on the mountain at 9:00, stay on the mountain (and HUSTLE! convince everyone that they need a portrait sitting, kids first, then parents separately then together, finally the whole family... because that's the one they really want but if you give them more options when you get them in the store they'll buy more). Then GET them in the store! Sell them frames! Oh, you'll be on the mountain until 2 or 3 p.m., then into the store to sell, sell, sell until 6 p.m. No leaving early, even if your last shuttle home leaves at 5:30. Repeat this 4 days a week for a little over $4.00/hour plus 10% of your sales and a ski pass. (The ski pass is the best part, but I think I'd be so sick of being on the mountain I wouldn't use it for fun!). As a waitress at Denny's, I'd make about the same per hour plus an average of 15-20% of my sales in tips. Hmmmmm. Wish me luck at Denny's!

On the happier note, DH and I love to play pool, and each Saturday we compete in a tournament at the local bar. Tony is quite good... I play pretty well but there are a lot of really good pool players here, and I don't wish to keep being the token female who keeps getting eliminated. I wish to be a butt kicken girl who wins! So, we decided to get ourselves a pool table for our Christmas present, found one on Craigslist in Grand Junction, and went and got it today! We had to totally disassemble it (DH did great), load it up, and it was about a 200 mile drive each way. We hit LOTS of snow coming home, and treacherous through the mountain passes, but again I credit Tony, he's an excellent driver and we're home safe with a new pool table! Can't wait to set it up! Our 5 dogs (who are rarely apart from us) were soooo happy when we got home. My Rossi dog is still just lying on the sofa staring at me with love.