Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Chincoteague Revisited, 1 by VA_Wild_Rose

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright VA_Wild_Rose

In reply to: Chincoteague Revisited

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Chincoteague Revisited
VA_Wild_Rose wrote:
That's a funny story Terri... not sure why he took your shoe! Now they do not allow dogs or domestic pets of any kind on the Assateague side. However, I did see doggie paw prints in the sand when we went walking.

Charlie... there were ALOT of birding and serious photography people there last weekend! When I did the marsh sunset photos, the line of cars along that back straight stretch of Wildlife Loop was bumper to bumper! You couldn't hardly set up! We only saw one pair of tundra swans and I was surprised! I thought they came in at the same time. Now I know! Yes, we inquired about the ORV Pass but we couldn't do it at that time. We did walk north for more than a mile on the beach on Sunday but I was worn out when we got back to the truck! Sand walking is so much harder! They told us in August when we were there that there were two nesting pairs of eagles, but we never saw them.

Hubby and I did see one thing kind of special the first morning. We were driving over to the beach and had just passed through the gate house area.... it was about 10 minutes til 6am. Right in front of us, our headlights broke up a scuffle between two Sika bucks! It was too dark yet for pictures and neither of us could pull cameras out quick enough... but it was cool to see. Deer are in rut this time of year and get kind of crazy!

I do love the place though, and will continue to go back!