Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Perennials: Delphinium advice, 1 by Cibarius

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Cibarius

In reply to: Delphinium advice

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Delphinium advice
Cibarius wrote:
Thanks pirl, I will look at the website you mentioned.

I have bought D. belamosum plants from lazyssfarm late this summer. This is supposed to be a type of delphinium suited to the south. It is shown in the first picture I posted. I ordered four plants and three have survived. They look okay for now. Frost is about to make them dormant.

I have also tried and tried to start D. Magic Fountains seed from Swallowtail. Starting in flats and transplanting to small containers failed more than once. I finally got them to go by seeding into small containers mid summer and then transplanting into my prepared bed. You can see one in the photo attached to this message. This was quite an accomplishment. But note the difference in foilage color between it and the belamosum visible in the upper right. What do you think is causing the yellowed foilage on the Magic Fountains plant?

The thing that inspired me to try delphimium was the sight of them growing in the "wild flower" plantings along the interstate highway in Tennessee. They were beautiful, tall, dark blue spikes in June. They only appeared one year, but annual performance is good enough for me. But I want those tall blue spikes in my backyard.