Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Getting ready for winter!, 1 by jfleming

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright jfleming

In reply to: Getting ready for winter!

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Getting ready for winter!
jfleming wrote:
Well, leaves are everywhere and there's still more to fall so we're only doing this once. Last year my husband insisted we get all the gutters cleaned and ended up cleaning gutters three times last year. The last stone garden wall was finally topped today so the cement and sand goes into the barn until next spring. I still have my garlic, goldenseal, ginseng, and onions to plant. The shed and workshop have been cleaned. They seem to become a dumping ground during the summer and have to be cleaned so we can get through the door to store things in winter. I have to get all my plants indoors before Friday, a frost is expected. Last year I decided to bring in my large urns that are flled with geraniums, ferns and vining plants. It worked so well, we're going to do the same this winter. They are now huge so it's a major project just getting them inside. I've planted all my garden boxes with cool season vegetables so the great experiment has begun. On another thread I saw that someone bought rolls of bubble wrap and lined their greenhouse with it. So, I think I'll try the same for the garden boxes if we have a really cold winter. I still need to come up with ideas for keeping the garden boxes warm enough this winter. Any ideas? Her's a pic of the urn I planted two years ago. They over wintered inside and are now huge! I'm determined to save them and stop buying these plants every year. Perennials rule!

This message was edited Nov 4, 2009 3:06 PM

This message was edited Nov 4, 2009 3:07 PM