Tropical Zone Gardening: Tropical seasons, 1 by tropicbreeze

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright tropicbreeze

Subject: Tropical seasons

Forum: Tropical Zone Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Tropical seasons
tropicbreeze wrote:
Today was THE DAY (not "D" Day), a pivotal day in our seasons here. High sun was directly overhead. Now it won't be overhead again until February. So, along with the northern hemisphere, we will have the sun to our south for that time.

Of course that's a fixed event, unlike the actual play out of the seasons. This year the rains have been late and the heat pretty oppresive. Some areas to the east of my place are continuing to miss out on the rains. However, here over the past several days rain and storms have finally made their appearance. And you should see the difference it's made to the gardens.

Working away from home for the fortnight makes even slow changes more noticeable. Today when I got back some plants had really rocketed along. Most noticeable were the Amorphophallus. The bulbifer went from a shoot of about 5 centimetres to 105 centimetres. And the titanum went from about 37 centimetres to 151 centimetres.

A lot of people curse the heat and humidity. But without the humidity there's no rain. And my garden looks very happy after the rain. So, no real point to this post, just that I feel great the rains have finally come.

The photo shows a helicopter view of some of the bush fires I've been fighting the past two weeks.