Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Annuals: Impatiens for 2010 - Anyone?!, 1 by BLOSSOMBUDDY

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright BLOSSOMBUDDY

In reply to: Impatiens for 2010 - Anyone?!

Forum: Annuals

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Impatiens for 2010 - Anyone?!
BLOSSOMBUDDY wrote:
I would think temperature would be a great factor....so Red, do you cover the trays at germination?

According to my greenhousebook, it says that the germinating of impatiens can be difficult. WELL< DUH! Kill me once! They are very sensitive to moisture stress. WELL< DUH! and kill me again! It also goes on to say that since light is required,(no kidding, light!!!!) the seed will not germinate if covered heavily with a medium to retain the moisture, but a very fine covering will help them from drying out. (Soz Red yer on to something there!!!!)

Sez, germination probs are particularly acute when the temps become warmer in late spring and summer. (I just gotta add my oOOoooh really here! Like DUH and a half and so now what?)

OH to qoute more, the book sez>>>damping off is particularily frequent in a flat tray and when transplanting. Sez too that they impatiens are very sensitive to fungicides, recommending 1/2 the recommended strength. Never used them to start with, but I suspected the algea in my water....Kill me again!

Sez putting them in shade with PLENTY of air circulation helps reduce damping off. Well... shoot~

Sez too, due to their succulent nature, they are easily bruised in transplant from seed and cant be fat fingered. Well there ya go, theres were I do down again.

They dont like soluble salts....guess I gotta quit eating tater chips while I am trying to sow. And quit with my water?

They like temps of 65 and temps lower than 55 will result in yellerish growth. (Oh how I can reckon with that....Im a dead woman.)

Joanna, nice GH BTW!

But anyta hoooo!

The book sez more... like if you have trouble germinating the impatiens, you will find the seed to be rather expensive (DUH DUH DUH!) Then sez go out and buy some plugs! Like man, no kidding!

Yano, here I am thinking, ya read the book on them, and the dang seed just dont no how to follow the book! So kill me again... Just stab a fork in me and eat me! I sits in the GH, reading to them, yano, talking to plants like they really listen and they take nothing into account and how they cost me the price of that book! LOL!

I have dun dun DUN give up. No more reading to them, no more watering them lil seeds, no more trying, it jest AINT gonna work here.

SOZ, ex-a-cute me cuz I am a cereal killer I got no more patiens for impatiens when it comes to seed. I cannot do the impossible, but I have been able to get a few cell plants to grow, but heretoo also not always!

I got a few that are in pots now in my office under lights....

The six lousy lil plants I got in the spring.. only the orange beast survived.....