Photo by Melody

Carolina Gardening: You know winter is coming and probably already here when ..., 1 by Xeramtheum

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Xeramtheum

In reply to: You know winter is coming and probably already here when ...

Forum: Carolina Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of You know winter is coming and probably already here when ...
Xeramtheum wrote:
I have heat for the greenhouse .. I use a portable thermostat (http://www.kkontrols.com/), a forced fan heater (sometimes called a "milk house heater" and a box fan that stays on from about 10pm - 10am .. I keep it at "don't freeze" .. usually kicks on at about 38 degrees. Works really well .. I think the box fan makes all the difference .. I also use passive solar heating - 2ltr coke bottles painted black and filled with water .. collects the heat in the day and releases it at night. They system works well and I've never lost or had anything in the gh burnt. I also have a wireless thermometer hygrometer so I can monitor the temperature in the greenhouse from inside my house (has an alarm you can set .. it's saved everything from cooking in the Spring countless times as the alarm goes off at 99 degrees. I'll sometimes forget to open the vents in the morning) - the coldest I've ever seen it in there is 34 degrees.

X