Photo by Melody

Canadian Gardening: The joys of veggie gardening at a community plot, 1 by Lilypon

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Lilypon

In reply to: The joys of veggie gardening at a community plot

Forum: Canadian Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of The joys of veggie gardening at a community plot
Lilypon wrote:
Carol it sounds like the gardens there are run like ours. Ours also receives funding from other places as well but the board thinks that within a couple more years we will stand on our own two feet. The chain link fencing, storage sheds, and piping were thankfully funded by our sponsors.

Donna I don't know what to say about your Sungold......it normally is quite prolific. I've not had small pickings from mine but I did have one year (out of four) where it didn't taste good (not sure why that happened either).

echoes I still have a couple of hills to dig too (not sure if that is going to happen now). My mouth drools at your list (how I wish we could still be growing). I really like your raised boxes......I'd love to grow long rooted carrots, etc., in that setup.

drivenbonkers I hope you will report back on how your various squash tasted. Your Italian one sounds like one I grew last year (mine had deep ridges, was relatively small, and was a couple of different colours and if I can remember the name I'll post a link to it. BTW those gourmet potatoes sound wonderful......I'm planning on trying to get some that way too (if they haven't inhibited sprout growth on the ones I'm eyeing).

Joannabanada I agree that sounds wonderful (wiping drool off my keyboard now). I've done a lot with beet greens but frying isn't one of them.

Dahlianut are you thinking of joining? That car stopper one sounds fascinating and I hope you will take a picture of it next year.

Well here's a mid summer pic of my rye straw mulched community garden veggie patch.