Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Bird Watching: Hummingbird Adventures # 17, 1 by imapigeon

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright imapigeon

In reply to: Hummingbird Adventures # 17

Forum: Bird Watching

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Hummingbird Adventures # 17
imapigeon wrote:
Today DH decided it was time to take down our backyard shade sails. In past years he has put them up with ropes, but this spring he used galvanized steel cable, stretched most of the width and length of the yard. Our resident Anna's HBs took to them right away----just the right size for their tiny feet. They've done a lot of touch-and-go-bug-snatching from these cables over the summer.

This morning I went outside to do a little watering, and I immediately got some SERIOUS "hover and scold" treatment. Checked the feeders, which were full and clean and antless, and the cats were ignoring them---so what was the problem? I was being dive-bombed by 5 different hummers! Then I realized the first shade sail was down, along with its nice cable-perches. The fuss they were making about it was totally out of control!!

Talked to DH, and he said he could rig a way to leave the cables up year-round---then he wouldn't have to figure out a place to store them and the HBs would be happy. The entire hour and a half he was re-rigging the cables, HE was getting the "hover and scold" treatment by mama, who was staying about 18" from his face, and her "wingman" about 3 feet from her.

The lengths we all go to to keep these little beggars happy.....LOL!