Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: A DANDY PUMPKIN, 1 by docgipe

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright docgipe

In reply to: A DANDY PUMPKIN

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of A DANDY PUMPKIN
docgipe wrote:
Gita...........I have a flat sheet day by day what to do and what to expect. I require that I be ask for this on regular Email. I know how to do it that way. LOL As an area coach I developed several subjective specific flat sheets.

Before somone gets to excited one needs a patch at least 35 X 50 feet to grow just one. At least the sum and total of one hour a day. The financial cost to do it right runs about $250.00 over the prep and the growing season....and could be higher depending on a number of factors. The gentleman whom I showed in the first picture spent about $1500.00 growing four. He nearly broke even this year after five years of learning. These numbers are an average of what I personally spent growing mine and what I see others doing today.

Why would anyone do this? One it is fun. Two it is growing the most amazing beast of a plant and fruit I know of. Finally it is better to have run the race and lost than not to have run in the first place.

I will conclude my pumpkin thing with a carving of a pumpkin tower. It is the most amazing carving by Bruce Cully, World Book of Facts, Oregon Carver working, in New Hampshire, if my memory is correct. This carving took two days...two long days. It lasted two weeks.