Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Greenhouse: My converted breezeway, 1 by aknapp

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright aknapp

Subject: My converted breezeway

Forum: Greenhouse

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of My converted breezeway
aknapp wrote:
I had been going to start plants in the basement this winter, but I kept looking at the breezeway between the house and garage that is not used for much of anything except laundry. It took a lot of measuring and a little imagination (mostly from reading various posts on DG) There are 5 doors in and out of this area so not even one unused wall.
I took down the curtains, and removed the couch and chair.
I then put plastic on the windows, (no heat out there).
I moved in some cupboards that were stored in the garage plus my potting bench. Purchased and hung up 6 sets of lights, (with chains of course for adjusting)(Again credit is owed to my DG friends) I put my gorgeous brugmansias (from poppysue) under the lights first and I they are sure looking much happier than they did. I am going to post some pictures and try to explain them as I go. Thanks for letting me share my excitement about my new space. I still have to add a few more sets of lights (because badseed was kind enough to share his knowledge with me) and then make my pvc plant shelf (plans found on DG of course) I think it will take the place of the small greenhouse that you see.
The room is approximately 20 feet long and probably 12 feet wide, and goes back a little farther on the wall where the washer and dryer are. (yes I will still do laundry I promise) As you look at the first picture to the left is the basement door which you can't see. On the cupboard is my ivy that I just repotted and some outdoor ivy that I am attempting to get roots on. The door you see leads to my back yard and right outside the door is an alcove that I use to store pots, etc. (This will be very handy as I get ready to start seeds)