Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Chincoteague and Assateague Islands, Virginia, 1 by VA_Wild_Rose

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright VA_Wild_Rose

Subject: Chincoteague and Assateague Islands, Virginia

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Chincoteague and Assateague Islands, Virginia
VA_Wild_Rose wrote:
Hi everyone!

I've been away from DG for too long... my schedule has been rather hectic with much going on. I have been meaning to do this for a month and I am sorry it took so long.

The family and I went on our much needed and much anticipated vacation to Chincoteague Island in late August. It has always been my dream to go there, as I was one of the many children who read the book "Misty of Chincoteague". What better way to bring my dream to life than to take my own daughters there! I took hubby along too! :o) We were NOT disappointed! In a word... AWESOME!!! We loved it.... and we will return... most likely as soon as late October for the migrations of a number of bird species including snow geese and trumpeter swans.

Chincoteague and Assateague are barrier islands off the coast of Virginia and Maryland. Well known for the wild ponies that live on the Assateague Island, and swam over every July to help raise money for the Volunteer Fire Dept. (most of you know I am a retired FF/Medic). More info here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chincoteague,_Virginia

Rich in history and even richer in wildlife... with a beautiful beach and a still working lighthouse! Yes... there are the mosquitoes! But with a couple inquiries to the locals, we found "the right stuff" and were not bothered again! I'll post a few photos here, but I will try to post the link to my Flickr slideshow. Please come and visit, and see the islands through our eyes and cameras!
See the slideshow here... http://www.flickr.com/photos/va_wild_rose/sets/7215762220171...