Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Fragrant hosta search, 1 by rcn48

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright rcn48

In reply to: Fragrant hosta search

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Fragrant hosta search
rcn48 wrote:
Jen, I have several of those you've listed. 'Stained Glass' is at the top of my list, gorgeous foliage with a sheen that holds its color well right through until frost. We picked up 'Cathedral Windows' (photo) this summer at Plant Delights' Open House and I think it's going to be a beauty as well. It was a huge plant so Rick divided it when it was planted so it will probably take another year before it adjusts to its new home. It looks like it's going to be a large Hosta and maybe too big for your "narrow" space? I really like 'Iron Gate Delight', for most people just another "green and white" Hosta but I like the narrow, wavy foliage and it's a fast grower! Another plus for me are the shorter flower stalks of IGD. I'm not a huge fan of Hosta flowers, especially if they bloom on 3'+ tall stalks! There a few Hostas that bloom so tall I just whack them off but IGD flowers just above the foliage and keeps the plant looking "tidy" :) I'm pretty sure one of the Hostas I was looking at in the gardens a few weeks ago is 'Frosted Dimples'. This is its 3rd year in the gardens and even though it doesn't have the 'Wow' factor the foliage is clean and doesn't seem to attract slugs. 'Venus' is on my wish list as is 'Aphrodite' :)