Photo by Melody

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: I need fast growing Shade Tree advice, 1 by franknjim

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright franknjim

In reply to: I need fast growing Shade Tree advice

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of I need fast growing Shade Tree advice
franknjim wrote:
Last but not least is the latest hole being dug for the new Dogwood. It is about 30" wide by 16" deep so far. The nice root above with the concrete below. This hole is about 6 to 8 feet from the largest Maple and 8' out from the house. Pretty much everything has to be dug while down on hands and knees because a shovel will not cut through roots bigger than 1/2" thick. After this hole I have to dig 2 more holes even bigger than this one for the balled and burlapped Chanticleer Pear and the Eastern Redbud that are being delivered this coming Wednesday. Luckily I have a big pile of soil on the driveway that I can use to mound up around the balled trees to help keep them from drying out and help them stand upright while I work on the holes.

Then I get to dig more holes for the rest of the shrubs. Luckily the largest hole for the Louisa Crabapple will be in the backyard that doesn't have all of the Maple roots! YEAH! I also have to plant a Shawnee Brave Bald Cypress that is in a 15g pot I picked up yesterday for the backyard. I have already planted 13 other shrubs and trees around my yard this year. I have to be carefull with eventual mature heights because of the over head power lines that feed the houses and they also feed the transformers in my neighborhood that line one side of the property plus cut across the backyard. That really limits what and where I can plant. The electric company here will butcher your trees. I can only plant trees and shrubs under the power lines that will remain under 12' to 15' tall so they won't get butchered.