Photo by Melody

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: I need fast growing Shade Tree advice, 1 by franknjim

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright franknjim

In reply to: I need fast growing Shade Tree advice

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of I need fast growing Shade Tree advice
franknjim wrote:
I had Catalpa suggested by a few locals. I grew up around them but never knew the name until this year. I always called them cigar trees because of the seed pods. All of the big ones I have seen in my area look bad. Broken and usually decayed inside from the breaks.

I am currently thinking about adding a couple understory trees that can handle both being under the existing Maples and being able to withstand the sun once the Maples are eventually gone. Dogwood tree clump with three 1" diameter trunks and an Eastern Redbud with a 1.75" diameter.

Also thinking of adding a Chanticleer Pear in the sunniest spot. 1.75" diameter trunk.

Not only do I want shade, I also want something nice to look at. I want everything! :^)

The area I have for planting is very limited and I don't want to have to butcher new trees to keep them from growing into the house. Lindens, Tulip trees, Wireless Zelkova and Birch are all out. I would never plant anything that makes nuts that attract squirrels. I hate squirels. They kill my perennial plants.

One of my local large nurseries has all their spring dug balled and burlapped trees on sale for 40% to 60% off right now.

While looking around I did find a 2.75" diameter Louisa Crabapple (weeping) regularly priced $469.00 on sale for $89.00! There is nothing wrong with it. I have to buy it just for the price. Will stick it in the back yard and protect it from the dogs. It is has a very cool limb structure that is shaped like a giant umbrella. The limbs spiral around the top of the trunk like a spiral staircase. It is about 6' tall x 6' wide. 32" rootball. It gets 12' to 15' tall x 12' to 15' wide. Perfect for full sun backyard that has overhead powerlines.

Since I started writing this, I am now considering the Wireless Zelkova with a 2.25" diameter trunk instead of the Pear. The mature size is 24' tall by 36' wide. I know growth would be hindered from the shade of the Maples but in time there will be more sun to eventually full sun.