Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Irises: Shhhh, Don't tell anyone but it's raining., 1 by lovelyiris

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright lovelyiris

In reply to: Shhhh, Don't tell anyone but it's raining.

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Shhhh, Don't tell anyone but it's raining.
lovelyiris wrote:
Well it has been just sprinkling here off and on all day. Now it's raining hard again. Can't repair or replant anything in the rain. Needless to say " I aint happy". Sticking out bottom lip.

Well D, I don't know how to answer your question and I'll tell you why. Our property is one of the high spots around here. However our home is not on top of the hill. Our home sits about halfway down the hill and is a pretty location. WE have the pond down at the bottom of the hill, the house, a meadow in front of the house and a grove of mature pine trees to the right side of the front of the house. Hard to explain.

But yes, we did flood here a couple of years ago and I lost over 90% of my irises then. That was from a freak weather pattern where everything here was underwater for well over 2 months. My plants just turned to stinky slimy mush. I get sick to my stomach just thinking about the smell of that mess. I had everything around here outlined in irises and lots of other plants. The only ones that survived that flood was elephant ears, banana trees, and cannas. They loved all the water and grew like gang busters.

I think I have some of pictures on this cd of some of the rain we got the other day. Let me see if I can figure this out. I may start another thread with some of the photos.
Happy Gardening, Marian