Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Split down huge tree! Can it still live?, 1 by sherriseden

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright sherriseden

In reply to: Split down huge tree! Can it still live?

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Split down huge tree! Can it still live?
sherriseden wrote:
Hmmm . . . you may very well have TWO trees there. Take a look at the pic I attached. We were told by an arborist about 19 years ago that this silver maple (look way in the back to the left) was actually TWO silver maples growing side by side. Yours looks kind of similar, especially with the girdling root I see there, from the left tree to the right tree. Ours has that, too.

Except for pushing each other out (possibly corrected by cabling, as we did ours on arborist's suggestion), I really don't think it's a problem. They each have their own root system and structurally, they seem to WANT to be OK as they both look healthy.

You know . . . it almost looks like they want a bit of space between them. Viburnum Valley, I know you're pretty knowlegable . . . this sounds kind of far fetched, but just maybe . . . keep them apart as far as the split, let them grown like that and maybe put some wound salve (not real up on that stuff) on the inside of the split . . . ??? What do you think? Just let them do what they're doing?