Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Are you a Deadheader?, 1 by stormyla

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright stormyla

In reply to: Are you a Deadheader?

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Are you a Deadheader?
stormyla wrote:
Moby, your lilies are great. I like how you've mixed all types of lilies with the Daylilies and Coneflowers. What I love about lilies is that they are great shade plants. I mostly garden in the shade and the lilies rarely let me down. The colors might be better in the sun, but they surely brighten up my shady beds. They also do well under my Maples.

FINALLY, I spent 2 hours deadheading today. Seriously cleaned up my front shrub beds. On one Galliardia, I clipped 87 dead blooms and there are tons more open or about to open buds still on it. Deadheaded all of the Salvias and Dianthus there too.

Cut the Monarda and variegated Cosmos in my driveway bed. Cut most of the Hosta stalks down. Cut half of some Oriental lily foliage back. I had already filled 5, 55 gallon trash bags with half of the lily stalks. Deadheaded tons of Echies. I scattered the spent blooms throughout the beds for the birds. Lots of them had already been picked clean. My beds have been full of birds this year with all of the Echies. Deadheaded some Buddleias.

Found 2 More plant supports out there. I need to get some more of the tall ones. Think I'll run over to Lowes and see if they have any on sale. this weekend. Between the new Iris & Lilies that I planted this year, I am seriously understaked! Maybe tomorrow, I'll get to cut some of the Helianthus & Heliopsis and Helennium. Will tackle the Glads over the weekend. The weeds are unbelievable. Pulled lots today.

Have to work on training the vines better too. The Beneficial Nematodes arrived today, so hopefully, I'll get them all applied this weekend. There are many more plants with slug damage out there. Guess I'll be Ammonia drenching the Ligularia and Brunnera too. What a sad sight!!