Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Late August blooms, 1 by HollyAnnS

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright HollyAnnS

In reply to: Late August blooms

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Late August blooms
HollyAnnS wrote:
Onewish this is my first year with the begonias, they came from a DG co-op (were you in that one?) I have so many bulbs to pull this year I have been thinking about how to save them and mark them. Last year I just tossed all my cannas into big tubs and then had no idea what they were. This year I would like to try and be a bit more organized. I have been thinking about buying or making mesh bags like onions come in. Or just brown paper bags. I have done very well just putting my OSP and some of the Caladiums in brown bags.
Gita, I tried to keep mine in the house as a house plant and had terrible trouble with spider-mites but it did survive. My Dad put his in the basement and tried the going dormant trick. Both his and mine are about the same now. Mine just started blooming and his doesn't have blooms but I told him to watch for them as his is just a little behind mine. Hopefully next year I will be more on top of the insect issue and will feed them earlier. Dad was a bit late getting his out of the basement so hopefully he will do that earlier next year and we can enjoy blooms all summer.
I think I will be making a lot of trips to Josh's house this fall. He has what I think will be a perfect basement for storing my bulbs in. I tried some of the cannas there last year and it worked very well.