Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Propagation: Basic Supplies, 1 by Weezingreens

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Weezingreens

In reply to: Basic Supplies

Forum: Propagation

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Basic Supplies
Weezingreens wrote:
My list of supplies:

*Soiless starter mix (sterilized)
*Sterilized starter trays & 6-cell packs
*Coarse sand (rinsed and sterilized)
*11x22" Flats (without holes)
*Domed lids for flats
*Clean spray bottle filled with water
*Plant stand with fluorescent cool white bulbs
*Prepared schedule for sowing based on your date to set out

My method is pretty much the same as Badseed, except I use the plastic dome lids when I put the flats under the lights. The dome acts as a mini-greenhouse, and watering is less intensive.

At first, I just spray the inside of the dome lids and let the lid 'rain' onto the starter surface.
I don't water from the bottom until the plants gain enough size to require it. At first, I just spray the inside of the dome lids and let the lid 'rain' onto the starter surface.

I add enough water to the starter mix to give it enough consistancy to handle, let it sit to absorb it, then go back to plant in an hour or so. I try to have at least 1.5-2" of starter mix in the containers so that the seedlings can stretch a bit while they are developing. You can use the bottom of another container to pat down the surface for an even sowing area before you sow. Before I sow the seed, I spray this surface down with water so the seeds adhere to the surface.

I begin with small starter trays in which I broadcast seed. I mix sand with the tiny seeds to get even distribution. I also put a bit of course sand over the seeds that are not supposed to be covered. The light can get in, but the seeds stay put. Do not over-sow the seed. Be sparing. Too many seeds mean crowding and encourage the dampening off, as well as spindly plants.

I add enough water to the starter mix to give it enough consistancy to handle, let it sit to absorb it, then go back to plant in an hour or so. I try to have at least 1.5-2" of starter mix in the containers so that the seedlings can stretch a bit while they are developing.

Once the seedlings are up and running, wait until they get their first 'true' leaves before attempting transplanting. The seedlings don't need nutrients before this period because they live off the cotyledons (sp?)(first little round leaves) in the beginning.

I would suggest doing a test run with an easy plant, such as viola. You could plant some of those and 'practice' with them. The little seedlings are easy to transplant, easy to identify, and generally pretty hardy.

Worrying the little seedlings out of the starter mix and transplanting them into cellpacks is a learning experience in itself! It is very important to not touch the stems of tiny seedlings. Lift them by their cotyledons.