Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gitagal

In reply to: Late August blooms

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Late August blooms
Gitagal wrote:
onewish--

That pink Hibiscus is beautiful! Is it an annual--or a perennial one? Have any seeds?

Did you say you grew the Balloon Flower from seed? I have a white one that is full of seed-pods. None are ripe yet--at least I don't think so. When will they be ripe enough for the picking? I had a blue one too. It bloomed earlier--then the white one grew and bloomed. White is much taller than the blue...

I have been collecting seeds like crazy--from everything. Pretty time-consuming to pick them out and get down to the (almost) clean seed--with all the chaff that I have to blow away....

Got lots of "Goldstrum" seed-heads from a table-full of these at work. Now that is labor intensive.....Try to work on those while I watch something on TV.

Have already a cup and a half of seeds from my 4"s "Broken Colors". They are big as peas--then dry up and get a bit smaller. Starting to pick off seed-pods also from my Tall, Red, perennial Hibiscus. It sure had a short bloom time this year! Weird!

Have gathered lots of seed from the "dwarf" (ha!) Red Coreopsis. Such a velvety, dark red! 18"+ tall.
More to be had--just too hot to go out and cut them all back.

What are YOU gathering???? Gita

Picture--the Red Coreopsis.