Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Late August blooms, 1 by rcn48

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright rcn48

In reply to: Late August blooms

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Late August blooms
rcn48 wrote:
I'll have to take some pics of our Plumbago - I agree it's so pretty this time of the year and probably the "toughest" plant I've ever grown! It grows along the edge of the top of the driveway and years ago when Rick wanted to plant bulbs there he dumped a load of soil on top of them so he'd have the depth for the bulbs - at least 6"-8"! I thought the Plumbago would never come back but once the spring bulbs had died down the Plumbago wriggled its way back to the surface! Love it when the foliage turns red after frosts as well :) Speaking of blue, I've got to get some pictures of the Blue Cardinal Flower along the gazebo! Earlier this spring when I was planting Lilies along the edge, I saw all the self sown seedlings and thought they were Red Cardinal Flowers. We did have a few red that bloomed but the blue have formed a perfect row along the front of the gazebo - you'd think I actually planted them :)

Gorgeous Dahlias hart - again!

Holly, I'm envious of your Arisaema speciosum! I bought one from Asiatica earlier this year and even though it bloomed it was pretty pathetic :( I don't believe the Z8 rating though, I know they're hardy to at least Z7 and possibly even Z6! If you do lift the one in the ground for the winter, just make sure it stays dry over the winter. It will rot in wet soils in a heartbeat. It usually takes 5-7 years for them to mature from seed for flowers if you're lucky enough to get seeds. Not sure about A. speciosum but a lot of the Arisaemas form little "bulblets' like this one and if you find them all you have to do is break them off and you've got a new baby :)