Photo by Melody

Accessible Gardening: Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners, 1 by Amargia

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Amargia

In reply to: Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners

Forum: Accessible Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners
Amargia wrote:
Scooterbug gives an impressive collection of homemade clay recipes on the Hypertufa and Concrete forum. Most are kitchen table sort of recipes that you can use with children. I only have experience with a couple of them, but there might be one that would work in place of concrete for the hands.

The one pictured in-progress below is a fun sign to start out with. It is how our hand collection actually got started. It is the abbreviated sign for “I love you. It is formed by making the letter “I” and “L” at the same time. It is like the one that young deaf man created as a gift for his grandmother on the spur of the moment. To everyone’s surprise it came out well so we started doing others. An illustration showing the sign language alphabet can be found in most unabridged dictionaries under “sign language.” The manual alphabet can also be found online at:
http://www.asl.gs/

Don’t laugh, Carrie, I plan to use vinyl on the deck floor. They are coming up with some cool new designs for vinyl. I’m tired of applying wood protector every year and still having the wood warp. For the boardwalk, I’m looking at that new composite decking material that just looks like wood. I’ve reached a point where I first consider how well something functions and how much maintenance is involved.. After I determine what is most practical, I just come up with creative ways to make it look good. With the larger aging population in most industrial countries, I think this will become the fashionable approach. I believe ease and practicality will be the style buzz words in the not-to-distant future. So, use that vinyl and you could be part of the fashion avant garde. LOL. Not the whole planet, though. We have to save at least half the planet for concrete.