Photo by Melody

Vines and Climbers: Was given a beta grape vine as a gift.... now what?, 1 by MTnic

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright MTnic

In reply to: Was given a beta grape vine as a gift.... now what?

Forum: Vines and Climbers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Was given a beta grape vine as a gift.... now what?
MTnic wrote:
The grape had a Bailey Nursery tag, it is in a 2 gallon container (I think, possibly one gallon). The tag says Beta Grape- Vitis 'Beta'. I suppose it is two feet tall- it has 74 leaves right now. I'm also worried it may have some sort of fungus as there are some rusty looking spots on some of the leaves. I know so little about grapes though that I was hesitant to trim the bad leaves or to treat it. I assume the root system is alright as it has been in the container for some time. A friend gave it to my mother who had no clue what to do with it so she gave it to me. She lives 1-2 zones cooler than I and it has spent the summer in that container waiting for me to come pick it up. The summer where she lives has been uncharacteristically wet and cool. Our average first freeze date is October 1, but our average first frost is September 21. I didn't think it would be very fun to grow as a houseplant but I don't know if a month or a little more is enough time to establish a decent root system in its new home either. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry if I seemed a bit defensive in my earlier post, but I turned to this site after a fruitless google search. I found plenty of information, but it didn't answer even one of my questions and much of it was conflicting information. I was just getting over a migraine and I was a little touchy I'm afraid! Below is a photo of this grape vine.