Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Clever potato growing idea or just nonsense?, 1 by HollyAnnS

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright HollyAnnS

In reply to: Clever potato growing idea or just nonsense?

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Clever potato growing idea or just nonsense?
HollyAnnS wrote:
Liz,You should get your seed from the mill. They are usually the most reliable. My GF taught me to cut the seed with at least 2-3 eyes and don't be shy about leaving some extra tater. I've always cut them the night before and dip them in wood ash as he did, supposed to reduce rot. I guess the ash acts as a fungicide and the over night allows a "skin" to form on the cut surface. Planting in our area is usually done around St. Patty's day to avoid frost and if you listen to the natural home farmers, in the dark of the moon to ensure a good crop.LOL
When the sprouts are 3" tall or so, start cultivating and hilling the soil, or in a container begin adding your medium (I use Promix and straw). Our containers are used 55 Gal. drums cut in half and drilled on the ends and about 3" up to ensure good drainage.
After the tops die back (varies with var. and weather) harvest, wash gently, and air dry in the dark. I just got about 5# from my Kennebecs. Of coarse one of the pest controllers had to be on hand to inspect the results. :-) LOL Ric