Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Irises: Time to fertilize beardless soon, 1 by mittsy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright mittsy

In reply to: Time to fertilize beardless soon

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Time to fertilize beardless soon
mittsy wrote:
Thanks for the info.
I have been digging and moving plants in preparation for my new "fall" arrivals. The holes quickly fill with water, think we've had a lot of rain? I do enjoy wearing my stylish red farm boots.

Yesterday I engraved my new plant markers. Have added an identifier, of where I got them and year. They look spiffy. As my camera is kaput here's your visual. A sandwich label , of black, white, black plastic, engraved with block letters through the top black layer so the white letters show through. Cultivar name on the front, ie Isabelle, type of plant on the back, ie Siberian. Small hole drilled in the upper left corner. Attached with stainless steel wire to a 24" galvanized, size 9 gauge wire rod with loop at top. Then on a separate label I engrave the place and year and attach with green plastic covered gardener's twisty tie.

Another tree snapped off in the last storm and I am waiting for the chainsaw man to come and cut it up and feed it through his chipper shredder. At least I'll get some more material for the compost bins. The groundhog officially won. I pulled the remaining squash, beans, and corn plants and added to the compost bucket. Of all my years gardening this has to have been the WORST. Destructive Critters, Damaging Weather, and Toxic Plants (I got poison ivy, twice).